Disabled woman wins £1.8k from South London council after she burnt herself on towel rail - MyLondon

2022-07-02 06:52:47 By : Mr. Dexter Wong

The council failed to make sure her bathroom conversion was suitable

Get FREE email updates for South London

A disabled woman has won £1,800 from a South London council after a botched bathroom conversion caused her to burn herself on a heated towel rail. A shower room fitted in the unnamed woman’s home by Southwark Council was too small for her to move around on crutches without risking a fall.

The local government ombudsman - which regulates local authorities - said Southwark Council failed to ensure the works completed in December 2018 met the woman’s needs. It criticised the council for leaving the woman, known only as Mrs B, with an unsuitable shower room for 14 months following the works, despite being in a position to carry out works.

Mrs B - a council tenant - asked permission from Southwark to convert her bath into a walk-in shower in December 2017. Mobility issues meant she was struggling to use the bath and had to be carried in and out of it by her husband.

READ MORE:Homeless families moved 60 miles out of London to East Midlands and Kent towns

From Croydon to Catford, Peckham to Putney, MyLondon wants to make sure you get the latest news, reviews and features from your part of South London.

Now there's a way you can keep up to date with the areas that matter to you with our FREE email newsletter.

The South London newsletter goes out twice day and sends you the latest stories straight to your inbox.

To sign up to the South London newsletter, simply follow this link and select the newsletter that's right for you.

And to really customise your news experience on the go, you can download our top-rated free apps for iPhone and Android. Find out more here.

She and her husband began buying the items for the conversion in late 2017 with the intention of completing the works themselves in early 2018. But their plans were delayed after Mrs B’s housing officer informed her she needed permission from the council before going ahead with the works. The conversion was eventually completed in December 2018 after Southwark gave the go-ahead.

Shortly after the works were finished, Mrs B contacted the council saying she was struggling to move around the shower room because of a lack of space. She said that boxing in the pipes for the shower had left her with very little space and that she had burnt herself on a heated towel rail.

An ombudsman report published on May 5 criticised the council for failing to ensure the adaptations were suitable before carrying them out. It reads: “If the council had put in place suitable adaptations in 2018 as it should have done, Mrs B would not be in the position she now is. The Council’s failure to ensure the proposed works were suitable to meet Mrs B’s needs meant she was left with unsuitable adaptations in December 2018 causing her distress and inconvenience.

“Mrs B raised concerns about lack of space as soon [as] the works were completed in 2018. The council accepted there was a problem but it was not until February 2020 that new specifications were prepared and sent to HAT [Housing Adaptations Team]. This was a significant delay. Shortly after this, restrictions were imposed because of COVID-19 and this inevitably impacted on progress.” Southwark Council has been contacted for comment.

Angry residents fight new Southwark wine bar as drunk revellers keep peeing on homes

South London council warns 37 primary schools face financial crisis without £1.2m bailout